Why British people have bad teeth?

There are certain stereotypes that most of the British people do not have nice looking teeth, they are either forked or broken, or not in shape.

Here are some excerpts:

Is this a common stereotype Americans have of the British? The third person in a row has made that comment to me about British teeth and it just now occured to me that Austin POwers had really funky teeth and was a British character-- so is this a common stereotype? It hadn't occured to me before, I guess because I've never been outside my country and all of the british people I see in pics usually have decent teeth. :nsm:

Come to think of it I do see in pics British teeth that are a bit different than American teeth. The British smiles I have seen are clean natural smiles-- even if the teeth are not perfectly aligned, while the American ones often are perfectly straight and unnaturally white- sometimes it seems like they could even glow in the dark if you shut off the lights. Not all Americans teeth are like that, but there does seem to be a trend here where a naturally white smile is becoming no longer acceptable- the teeth must be unusually and unnaturally white in order to pass inspection. There seems a greater social pressure to have teeth like that, I suppose maybe in order to not be seen as lower class? I dunno.

I personally like mildly crooked teeth. It makes people's smiles unique. Most of the best smiles I can think of that I have been fond of in my lifetime have been crooked ones-- they're just cute, I dunno. :nsm: I mean unless a person has, like, unusually crooked or a big overbite causing them problems and stuff, I understand the need for braces in situations like that. And I certainly can't really say anything if everybody in
America decides to have glow in the dark teeth and flawlessly straight smiles- who am I to hammer down on people for teeth that don't belong to me?

I was learning about something called hyperreality last week, where we watch TV and things like that and see unnatural things and begin to believe that that is reality, or normal. Like pictures of models airbrushed, or super duper bright white teeth that don't exist like that naturally, etc. Maybe American society has shifted a bit too far from being dental hygiene- conscious (nothing wrong with that) to reacting to this hyperreality from the media by doing these things that, one could argue, really aren't necessary (not in the same way that regular dental checkups, etc. are).

But why is this stereotype directed at the british and not more of
Europe? Have I missed something? WHere did this come from, and are teeth really all that bad in England?

(RubiaWarrenwrites at http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/archive/index.php/t-66399.html)

7 comments:

  1. They just have bad teeth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i was thinking that yanks have fake teeth to go with their fake tits and fake personalities. but perhaps i am being slightly harsh.

      Delete
  2. Americans have worse teeth. 6 percent of the British populous with bad teeth compared to roughly 33 percent of Americans. The teeth stereotype is probably based on the tea stereotype, as tea is known to stain teeth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wrong. British have horrendous teeth, far more so than america

      Delete
  3. I'm probably stepping into deep do-do here, but I have noticed something that might make teeth stand out more within the British culture. As an American, I love to listen to British accents. As a result, I find myself staring at the mouths of people who are speaking with a British accent. What I've noticed (and not across the board, but definitely prevalent) is that people speaking in British accents don't move their upper lip much when they're speaking. Some hold it up. Some hold it down. And some others move their lips in what I would suggest seems more the norm in most cultures. (Stiff upper lip reference? Not intentionally.) So, perhaps the people who don't move their upper lip, and keep it in the "up" position just SEEM like their teeth are big, when they're simply is just more to see with the lip pulled up. But I could be completely insane. So there's that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The law firm of Drasin, Yee & Santiago provides high-quality client
    service and solutions to injured workers in California, with nearly 100
    years of combined legal experience. If you were injured or became ill
    while working as an employee, our workers' compensation lawyers
    and office staff will fight for you to receive the proper medical care
    and compensation. Please get in touch with us as soon as possible
    so we can help you better grasp your legal situation.
    Law Offices of Drasin, Yee & Santiago

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steve Buchimi is American Italian not British. It's from years of incest

    ReplyDelete

Only genuine comments please!

Most Popular Posts